Visiting Canada

You would like to visit Canada?

Note that only citizens and permanent residents of Canada can enter Canada freely. All others require a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA).

Temporary Resident Visa

A Temporary Resident Visa (commonly known as a "visitor visa" or a "tourist visa") is an official document that the Government of Canada affixes in your passport. It indicates that you meet the necessary requirements to legally enter Canada as a temporary resident. However, the TRV does not guarantee the right to enter Canada; admission to Canada as a temporary resident is a privilege - not a right.

Most visitors need a TRV to enter Canada, even to transit through a Canadian airport en route to their final destination. Citizens of each Latin American country, except Chile, need a TRV to enter Canada. Latin American citizens with a TRV can generally stay in Canada for a maximum of six months.

To obtain a TRV, you must meet certain requirements. Specifically, you must have a valid passport and be in good health. You will also need to convince Canadian authorities that you have the necessary funds for your stay in Canada and that you will return to your country of residence once your stay is over. To do this, you will need to demonstrate the ties you have there (e.g., employment, property, financial assets, family, etc.).

Several factors, including your personal situation and the reason for your stay in Canada, affect how you present your TRV application and the documents you must submit in support of your application. Giroux Canadian Immigration will be happy to assist you in the process to maximize your chances of being granted your TRV.

Electronic Travel Authorization

The Electronic Travel Authorization is an entry requirement for visa-exempt foreign nationals traveling to Canada by air. In the Latin American context, only Chilean citizens can enter Canada through an eTA.

The eTA is an electronic document linked to the traveler's passport and valid for up to five years, or until the passport's expiry date, whichever comes first. Therefore, if you obtain a new passport, you will need to obtain a new eTA.

A valid eTA allows you to travel to Canada as many times as you wish for short stays (usually for a maximum of six months at a time). You do not need an eTA to travel within Canada.

It is important to note that an eTA does not guarantee entry to Canada. Upon arrival, a border services officer will ask for your passport and other documents. You will need to convince this officer that you have the right to enter Canada.

Applying for an eTA is a relatively simple process and you do not necessarily need the services of a lawyer to obtain it. However, if you believe you need assistance, for example, because you need to provide several supporting documents, Giroux Canadian Immigration will be happy to help you.


Este sitio web utiliza cookies para garantizar que obtenga la mejor experiencia en nuestro sitio web.